ShopAdvisor recently completed a seven-week campaign for a national CPG candy brand, which delivered up to 13 percent sales lift on the promoted products. At the completion of the campaign, ShopAdvisor pulled granular sales data for the promoted products from our partner Nielsen, to provide the client a deeper understanding of the in-store sales attribution of their media campaigns. Let’s take a closer look how this was accomplished and why measuring sales lift is a critical component of any drive-to-store marketing campaign.
During the fall of 2017, ShopAdvisor worked with a major CPG candy brand to reach families and children leading up to Halloween, on both desktop and mobile devices in and around participating retail locations. The campaign ran exclusively at CVS locations on the west coast, southwest, and Midwest regions. Shoppers inside and around these store locations were targeted by ShopAdvisor’s geofencing capabilities. To measure the true impact of the promotion, post-campaign sales lift attribution and ROI was also measured, providing additional shopper insights and data for use in future campaigns.
- Promote in-stock assorted candy products to parents and children
- Reach shoppers through targeted digital display ads on their smartphones and desktops, in and around participating retailers.
- Collect and analyze shopper demographics, sales lift, and other valuable campaign insights for use in future campaigns
- Increase product awareness and customer engagement
- ShopAdvisor collected audience target segments from a combination of 1st and 3rd party data
- Once the desired segments were identified, ShopAdvisor determined the most relevant segments and attributed them to the campaign
- Rich media creative was developed and optimized for delivery across desktops, tablets, and smartphones
- ShopAdvisor executed and managed a campaign to encourage shoppers to pick up the promoted products as part of the shopping experience
- ShopAdvisor measured incremental sales lift percentages of the promoted products. The analysis also included providing additional insight into shopper activity by overlaying delivery data with POS sales data
The campaign delivered over 25 million total impressions during a seven-week period, which greatly surpassed prior campaign results and generally accepted industry standards. Impressions served had an overall positive effect on sales, as revenue increased starting from the second week until the end of the campaign. Key findings from the campaign included:
- 25.7M total impressions delivered
- Good to excellent audience engagement on mobile creatives – average CTR 1.34%
- Up to 13.08% sales lift in revenue on targeted categories for assorted candy products in conjunction with in-store promotions, with a 5.6% units sales lift compared to last year at the same time period for the retailer’s candy brands.
- 345K banner impressions were served with a 1.19% CTR
Conclusion – The Collection and Value of a Sales Lift Analysis
Data and analytics can be extremely valuable, or completely worthless – all contingent upon how you use them. The simple collection of this information looks good on paper, but without the proper analysis, what good is it to have data without any contextualization or extraction of its key points? Data and campaign performance figures possess the ultimate value when they provide the client with information such as ROI, ROAS, rich media click, units sold, and more.
By cataloging this data throughout the entirety of a campaign, ShopAdvisor was able to deliver a comprehensive summary of results to the client which not only showed the effectiveness of the campaign but provided valuable analytics and trends, which can help shape future campaigns and marketing strategies.
Our sales lift capabilities are used by retailers, brands, restaurants, and agencies to calculate the percentage increase or decrease in each metric for users who received a campaign versus a controlled group. The lift also measures metrics from historical data such as sales prior to promotion, and sales average of a particular time period while eliminating any promotions and sales compared to the same period of the prior year or season. Without a sales lift analysis, marketers could very well be leaving out a crucial piece of their campaign puzzle. ShopAdvisor’s capabilities including sales lift, ensure your campaigns are meeting and often exceeding the best performance standards in the industry.
To obtain your copy of the case study mentioned above, click here.